Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Countdown

Wow, what a hectic last couple of days. Due to one part my boneheadedness, one part another's, I am going to Nepal without my Indian visa. Hopefully I can get one there and if not, I am just going to chill in the Himalayas for a bit before heading home. I went for a massage tonight and did that ever remove the tension.
Soon I will be basking in the warmth of the snow-capped peaks and smelling the scent of rhododendrons as I track the elusive yeti through the back-country of the Annapurnas. Packing is going wonderfully, I had a clip break on one of my new stuff-sacks, and I have made numerous trips to M.E.C. to collect things that I had forgotten and probably don't need anyway. I am loading up on many varieties of drugs: acetaminophin, acetazolamide, ciprofloxacin, etc, to stave off the inevitable high altitude head ache, and the intrusive travelers diarrhea. I am only going to take them if I really need them since I find the white ones to be too crunchy, and the yellow ones make my mouth foam up when I suck on them. I am still trying to decide on how many pairs of socks I'll need. 22 days in the wilderness could wear through a lot of wool. So far I figure four pairs, but I may have to up it. Hopefully there is enough areas that we can do laundry or else it might get treacherous even to enter the same room as one of us.
I am curious on what kind of activities I should do whilst in the mountain country (aside from hiking that is). My dear sister suggested that I ride a yak. Do they have yak rodeos over there? Maybe I should bring a Stetson just in case. Speaking of hats, my brother recommends that I acquire a pith helmet and riding crop and... well you know the rest. ( If not, go to wikipedia and type in British colonialism.)
This is all incredibly exciting and I can hardly wait to get on the plane and fly over there, but I have to wait just three more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment