Monday, March 22, 2010

Bandipur

The trip so far has been amazing. The thirteen hour plane ride to Hong Kong was trying. I don't know how I managed to sit still so long. Once in Hong Kong we took a train to down town and then walked to the tram that took us to the Peak overlooking the city. The great thing about Hong Kong is that the price on the price tag is the price you pay. Also, it is quite inexpensive for a big city. There is tons of shopping and you could spend all week there visiting Prada, Gucci, and all the other designer outlet stores.
Once we got back on the plane, Digby and I were both quite exhausted (having only slept an hour since we left) so we caught forty winks. There was a stop-over in Bangladesh and then on to Kathmandu. At the airport we got our visas and luggage and went out to find a taxi. After some sketchy business (an unauthorized taxi driver wanted to take our business, but we chose to use the authorized one) we managed to bargain down from 1200NPR to 400 and we were off. We told the driver to take us to the Kathmandu Guesthouse but he took us to a completely different place. Since Graeme and I were both so exhausted, we accepted the accommodations regardless. I was pretty sketched out at this time and was kinda worried that the other taxi driver we bargained with would come and cause us trouble. Just as I was drifting off to sleep, I heard a rattle at the door! I was instantly awake. My hands formed fists as I stood in a fighting stance near the door. It was then I realized that it was just Digby trying to exit the bathroom. My heart was racing so hard I had to calm myself down before I could get back to sleep again.
When we woke in the morning, we found that we were only a two minute walk from the Kathmandu Guesthouse. We spent the day wandering the markets and getting acquainted with our new friends Stuart and Ivonna and our guide Krisna.
We caught the five hour bus this morning to the mountains from Kathmandu. It left the busy streets of Kathmandu and followed a twisty road through the valley. Many farms with goats and chickens lined the road. There was only one sketchy moment where the bus slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a motorcycle and almost sent our guide who was standing at the time, through the front window. We also saw a goat riding on top of a van. Stopping at a town we then took a twenty minute jeep right up switchbacks and through terraced farmland to the village of Bandipur where we will spend the night. The hotel is an ancient building with incredibly low ceilings and doors. Tomorrow we take a three hour bus ride and then begin hiking!
So much more has happened but I don't want to tell all my stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment